My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Where My Help Comes From




Psalm 121:1-8  Shall I look to the mountain gods for help?  No! My help is from Jehovah who made the mountains! And the heavens too!  He will never let me stumble, slip, or fall. For he is always watching, never sleeping. Jehovah himself is caring for you! He is your defender. He protects you day and night. He keeps you from all evil and preserves your life. He keeps his eye upon you as you come and go and always guards you.

One of the hardest challenges I have faced since I became a caregiver has to be asking others for help. After 8 years as my husband's caregiver I have learned through much disappointment and hurt feelings there is only a handful of people who sincerely have a desire to assist me in my journey as a caregiver.  I also discovered there is an even larger number who have great intentions but would rather not be involved because my life is somewhat "messy".  

When my husband, Brian, was first diagnosed with heart failure, I had to learn how to be a receiver.  People offered to help us and I would constantly reject them with a smile explaining how we were were fine.  In reality we were not fine, and even today have moments when we need others.  God created all of us to be relational beings and I believe He helps us through others.  I had no problem helping others but found it almost painful to accept help.  After learning to accept help, I faced a new challenge.

Over the years, I would ask certain individuals for support in some way only to find myself very disappointed in the end. This is a reality that you need to face as a caregiver.  There will be times when you ask people who you trust and you believe understand your situation, only to have them let you down.  When this happens, you must remember who your REAL and TRUE help will always be. That Helper is our Lord Jesus Christ!

When you ask Jesus for help He will NEVER leave you nor forsake you. What an amazing promise that caregivers have. He has His eye on us.  I love that mental picture.  As a parent, I like to have my eyes on my daughter in order to help and protect her.  That is how God feels about us! Don't forget that your and my help comes from the creator of the mountains and the heavens.  God is our ULTIMATE helper and caregiver!

No comments:

Post a Comment