My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

So Much To Do

My husband, Brian, says that I become this “crazy lady” when I know people are coming to visit in our home.  He says things like, “Calm down, the house looks fine,” which only aggravates me and doesn’t help.  The problem is that I see all that needs to be done in preparation for their arrival.  I want my guests to feel welcomed and special.  I will admit that I do go overboard.  I mean, I know I’ve never looked at the dust on top of someone’s refrigerator.  Have you? 

In this passage Jesus has come to visit in the home of Mary and Martha, two sisters.  Martha is very much like me when I have visitors.  She is the hostess with the mostess!  She is cooking and taking care of all her guests’ needs while her sister, Mary, is just hanging out at the feet of Jesus.  Martha has taken all of this she can handle and says to Jesus, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Therefore tell her to help me” Luke 10:40.  Jesus is so cool and in response He lovingly tells Martha no because Mary is putting being with him before all else.  Whoa!  That’s powerful! 


The Holy Spirit used this to speak to my heart by saying, “Jessica, how often to you spend time with me instead of all this running around and busy work you do?  How often do you find quiet times for only you and me to be alone?”  I had to answer, “Not often enough, Lord.  I am so sorry.  Please, forgive me.”  This is a daily struggle for we Martha’s.  So much is around us that needs to be done and something inside of us tells us we are the ones to take care of it all.  I believe there can be a balance.  I long to be half Mary and half Martha rolled into one.  I want to serve my Lord but at the same time I need to stop and just be with Him, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment