My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Words


A gentle response defuses anger,
    but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire. Proverbs 15:1

Recently, I was blessed to sit under the teaching of pastor and author Pete Wilson.  He spoke about a simple yet very powerful topic which was the words we speak to others.  It really is amazing how our lives are impacted by the words we speak and others speak to us.  There were three things that Pete said every person has in common and I wanted to share those with you today.

1st - Everyone uses words.

Proverbs 18:21 tells us that our words hold the power of life and death.  That's pretty strong.  No matter who we are or what our present circumstances we all use words.

2nd - Your deepest joys and pains were all accomplished by words.

This nearly knocked me over because of the truth this statement holds.  The words of someone getting a job or being pregnant are words of pure joy but then words announce people's death and horrible news, too.

3rd - Your world of words is a world of trouble.

We all have conversations and say things we wished we had not had or said.  The difference comes in what we do and how we handle it once the damage has been done.  Do we not only apologize but admit what we said or did to the person?  Do we admit our words and as hard as it may be acknowledge the hurt we caused?  We have to take responsibility for our words.

The last thing I want to share is a statement that Pete said and I immediately wrote it down.  I know it has been true in my life and I'm sure in yours as well.

"Every word comes at a cost.  There is a long-term shelf life to painful words."

No comments:

Post a Comment