My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Taylor Has Tourette Syndrome

For several years now we have noticed our daughter, Taylor, exhibiting involuntary facial and neck motions.  Many refer to these movements as "tics".  Most people who were around her never even noticed but with the onset of middle school this fall they began to increase in intensity.  Finally we knew we had to seek help when the tics became auditory or the correct term, which is phonetic.  Taylor did not say words but instead would make sounds.  

These motions and sounds could not be stopped and asking her to do so only increased her anxiety which in turn increased her tics.  Recently we sought the council of a child neurologist at UVA.  Dr. Bailey was not only wonderful with Taylor but us as well.  After much time and evaluation I heard the words that I knew in my heart but still broke it all at the same time.  "Mr. and Mrs. Daly, Taylor has Tourette Syndrome."  

My child had officially been labeled was my first thought as a protective mother.  But as the doctor continued to speak I heard words of encouragement and instruction on how to make Taylor's life better, which I wanted to hear.  I am now embarking on a new caregiving journey but I know, like always, He will never leave nor forsake me.  I do ask for your prayers as we navigate these new and sometimes rough waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment