My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Monday, May 19, 2014

What? I Didn't Know!

“‘Stand up in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. 
I am the Lord.

Recently I spoke with a dear friend who had taken her elderly mother to the doctor.  Soon after the visit began she discovered that years ago her mother's doctor had detected an issue but her mother had ignored it and not shared it with the family.  My friend remained calm and listened as the doctor shared that the concern had not gone away and still needed to be treated.  My friend, of course, was so upset that for the past several years she was unaware of this medical issue her mother was suffering from.

Unfortunately, this is something I hear quite often from those who are beginning to take on the role as caregiver to their aging parents.  It is so difficult when the roles begin to change.  I saw it for years as my mother took care of her parents and in-laws.  She was forced to take on the role of the "parent" so to speak and they were unwillingly forced into the role of the "child" in many ways. 

It is very important to attend doctor appointments, visits to the optometrist, and even the dentist when you feel  your parents' health may be changing or failing.  There are tactful ways of doing this without them feeling intruded upon or babied.  Also, make sure that you are aware of their medications and if they are taking them.  It is a lot, I know.  But, it can be done with success. 

I was very proud of my friend for handling the situation with such grace and care.  She never argued with her mother or showed disrespect, which is key.  But, she knows now what is going on and what she must do in the future.  I just knew there was someone else out there who needed to hear this story in order to encourage their heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment