My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Caregiver's Last Resort

                                                                         
                                                                                                                        
 A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech.  Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.”
 “You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “How long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.” So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.
 Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?” “From childhood,” he answered. “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
March 9:17-24

I have read this story many times over my lifetime,  yet until recently God had not revealed to me the connection of this story to caregiving.  The father mentioned here had suffered for years taking care of his demon possessed son.  After receiving no help or relief, has come to his last resort which was Jesus.  Let me stop here and ask, “How often as caregivers do we look to all other sources of help before we, out of desperation, turn to our last resort of Jesus Christ?”  I know I have done this and have to continue to remind myself to turn to Jesus as my first source of assistance, so don’t beat yourself up!

This father addresses Jesus and explains his situation and circumstances to him.  He explains to Jesus that he went to other people for help, which were Jesus’ disciples, yet they were of no help.  I like that this caregiver father was real with Jesus.  Many times we approach the thrown sounding good and looking good when all the time Jesus knows our hearts and knows what’s really going on, so why aren’t we truthful? 

Jesus responds to this caregiver by commanding him to bring his son to Him.  I want to shout when I read this for God still wants us to bring the ones we care for to Him.  He wants us to not only trust Him but trust the care of our loved ones to Him.  Jesus also asked the caregiver some very serious questions.  First was, “How long has he been like this?” which shows us that Jesus has an interest in what is happening in our personal situations and in our suffering.  It causes me to think that Jesus could read the eyes of this caregiver and sense the years of despair and frustration that lied within.  Our God has a heart of compassion for His children.  The father replies by explaining how bad things are and begs Jesus to take pity on them and help them if He can do anything.  I stopped with conviction when I reread this for I know many times I used to pray, “God, if you can do anything, please do it now.”  How silly and insulting that must be to our Father God.  The words “if” and “God” don’t belong together at all!  We must approach our Savior and Healer with confidence and assurance instead of doubt and half hearted hope.

Second, our Savior tells the caregiver that if he only believes his son can be healed.  Thankfully the father realized the power he is before and openly admits that he believes Jesus can do anything and we read of his son’s healing.  Wow!  I love the power of Jesus Christ and the way in which He uses it graciously and amazingly in this caregiver’s life and in ours, too. 

This healing was immediate, which all of us would like if given the choice.  For me, I have been praying for my husband’s healing over seven years, now.  I will tell you that healing is taking place yet it happens over time and didn’t happen all at once.  In fact, my husband is still not completely healed in the natural realm but we have already claimed his full healing and thank God for it daily.  We also have set backs when Brian is feeling bad or has slow days and still fear can creep back in.  During those times, we remind ourselves of where we were and how far God has carried us in order to stay focused on Him. 

I love this caregiver father for he not only accepted the call to care for his son, but also loved his son enough to carry him to Jesus.  Caregiver, don’t ever underestimate the power you hold in bringing your loved one to the throne of Jesus Christ daily.  Jesus cares and He is waiting for you just like He was that day when this desperate father brought his demon possessed son to the healer.

No comments:

Post a Comment