My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Friday, February 20, 2015

Now, Lord? Really?


"And he will answer, 'I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.' Matthew 25:45

Yesterday was a VERY long day at work.  All afternoon I dreamed of sitting down with my family at my favorite local Mexican restaurant laughing and talking together. The temperature was 10 degrees as I walked to my car feeling as though the wind would literally cut through my coat and then me! I heard a text message come in as I reached the safety of my car.  When I read the message my sister explained that a friend of hers was stranded outside of Lynchburg and needed a ride to pick up a rental car in order to get home, for her car had broken down while snow skiing.  

I am keeping it real, as I always do, so I have to tell you my heart sank.  I remember feeling frustrated and mad because I knew I had to help this poor stranded lady but yet I was exhausted and had not eaten all day!  Yes, I had a poor pitiful me few moments.  BUT, then because I continue to read my Bible and listen to preaching from the Bible, the Holy Spirit began to speak this scripture to me over and over. "And he will answer, 'I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.' Matthew 25:45 It is very clear cut, as Jesus always is.  If I had a negative attitude about helping someone else it was the VERY same thing as having one toward Jesus himself.  Whoa, now.  That changes everything.

The journey ended up being over an hour and 1/2 from our home but the entire way my family and I talked and laughed just as I had wanted with no distractions.  We didn't even turn on the radio.  Then when we picked up Beth and her daughter, Grace, the fun began.  To see the gratitude on their faces and to know that I would have wanted someone to do the very same for me overwhelmed my heart. We got them safely to their rental car at the local airport and all hugged goodbye as if we were all life long friends.  

My daughter asked me on the way home what made us go and help people we didn't even know when we were so tired and so hungry and it was such a long way to drive?  I quickly looked into her beautiful blue eyes and said, "Jesus".

No comments:

Post a Comment