My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Motives




Why do we pray and ask God for things each day?  Why do we go before His throne and bring our requests?  Do we do it with a heart of selfishness or with humility?  Don't worry.  This is not a beat down type of blog today.  I am talking to myself, too.  Recently I took the time through a Bible study I was a part of to take a serious look at my motives when I pray.  I thought about why I was asking God for certain things to happen or to be blessed in certain ways.  I had to ask, "Was it for Jessica or for Jesus?"  

Did I pray for protection so that I would be comfortable or so that I could be a fit vessel for Him to use each day?  Was I praying for financial blessings so I could have the finer things in life or so that I could use what I was blessed with for the glory of God?  Did I ask for open doors of opportunity so that I could just be happy and content or was it so that God could place me where He could best use me?  Man, these questions were powerful and changed the way I was not only thinking but praying.

I was touched by a woman I met not long ago named Ester.  I was invited to her home for a women's Bible study and after commenting on what a beautiful home she had I was blown away by her response.  She shared how she and her husband had prayed for God to bless them with a home where they could host events and groups each week that would glorify His kingdom and bring people to salvation through Jesus Christ.  I knew she was serious for I was standing in her kitchen while she spoke and was a product of that promise.  

Are praying with the same motives Ester and her husband had when they prayed for a home?   Remember, God wants to bless His children but only so we can be a blessing in His name to others. I can promise you that each time someone compliments Ester's home she is quick to tell them her home was a product of prayer and obedience to God.  What a great testimony!  The scripture above says, "Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:4  

I challenge you today to examine your prayers and the motives behind them just like I did and am still in the process of doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment