My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Monday, September 2, 2013

Unseen Needs

I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ.

As a caregiver, I remember many Sundays when I would leave church feeling more alone than when I entered the doors an hour earlier.  Instead of feeling encouraged and refueled for another week of intensive caregiving, I would be sad and exhausted from all the questions concerning my husband's health and latest Dr.'s appointment.  No one ever realized what was happening and I was never sad that others loved my husband and were praying for him.  Don't think that for a second.

BUT, at the same time, I was rarely ever asked how I was doing or feeling.  Not many ever asked me how all this had affected me or told me they were specifically praying for me.  When prayer requests were given in worship service, my husband's name was announced but never mine.  When names for prayer were written in the bulletin for people to pray over during the week, my husband's always appeared but never mine.

My church wasn't being insensitive they just didn't know any better.  They had never stopped and thought about me as the caregiver or my spiritual needs.  Because of this, it has become a personal mission of mine through MDO Ministries to make churches aware of the needs of the caregivers within their congregations.  Just like women, men, children, teens, young adults, singles, married couples, and the elderly, caregivers deserve and need their own group and support from the church.  I know that pastors and church boards would be amazed if they only polled their congregation during one Sunday morning worship service to see how many sitting in the pews consider themselves to be caregivers.  I also believe that when pastors and staff members visit people in hospitals, rest homes, and even homes, they should be aware of the needs of the caregivers along with those they are going to visit.  What if a caregiver they encounter is NOT a Christian?  What an amazing way to witness and bring another person to the Savior!

Do not think for a moment I am beating up the church.  I just know that unless we make it our goal to bring awareness to leaders in the church, it will never change.  I want to send a shout out to a church that has greatly inspired me in this which is Mount Olive P. H. Church in Mt. Olive, NC.  This church as a caregiver support group that not only meets to support one another in the Word of God and in prayer for one another but they also pray for other caregivers!  Another amazing outreach they participate in is providing care packages to caregivers.  I was invited to be their guest speaker for a meeting and I left more blessed and inspired than when I arrived thinking I would do that for them!

If your church does not provide support for caregivers, speak up today and propose that something can be started.  Caregivers are searching and longing for support.  Let's make the church of God the place they can go to find the One who cares for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment