My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

When a Caregiver Gets Sick


 He gives us strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” —Isaiah 40:29–31

What happens to those being cared for when the caregiver is sick?  This is something that we don't think about until it happens but when it does it isn't pretty.  I always say, "I am not allowed to be sick or feel bad."  In actuality that is true for most caregivers, for they must continue on and make sure things get done. 

One example of this would be our family's last vacation where my husband and I both became very sick with sinus infections.  We both sought help at a local urgent care and were both placed on high power antibiotics and encouraged to rest.  Well, for a heart patient this was twice as serious and my husband felt twice as bad which meant he rested in the hotel room for 2 days.  We even tried to cancel our trip but were told we would lose our money, so we stuck it out. 

For three days I took my antibiotics and pain meds and walked around amusement parks and even spent one day at a water park all for the sake of my 11 year old who was supposed to be celebrating her birthday!  I was miserable and don't remember parts of it, which is a little scary, but I did what I had to do.  That's what caregivers do... even when they're sick.

By Thursday of our week's vacation my husband and I were both a little better and were able to salvage the last few days.  I learned a lot that week.  I learned that caregivers never really get a vacation but I wouldn't have done it any differently even if given the chance.  I take care of my family better than anyone else ever will and there are lots more vacations in our future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment