My Daly Outreach Ministries

My Daly Outreach Ministries

Monday, April 27, 2015

Stop Asking Why



"Rabbi," His disciples asked Him, "why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents' sins?" "It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins," Jesus answered. "This happened so the power of God could be seen in him." John 9:2–3, NLT

I remember years ago when I asked God "Why?" on a daily basis.  I can only imagine His face as I began yet another conversation with Him about why my world had turned upside down and why everything I knew was lost.  The fact is He did listen and He did care.  The Bible tells me that God hears me when I call and that He has compassion on me.  At the same time I will never understand the ways of the Lord.  I will never know WHY God has allowed certain things to take place in my life.  But one thing I know is that John 9:2-3 is true for I have and continue to live it daily.

Jesus' disciples asked WHY, too, which is normal and completely okay.  Let's make that clear before moving forward.  They wanted to know why a certain man had been born blind.  It made sense to them that it must have been a punishment from God but we read that his disability had nothing to do with sin.  Jesus explained how his situation or circumstances had taken place so that "the power of God could be seen in him".  In other words, God allowed his blindness so the man, the disciples, and then countless others might experience and later hear of His healing power.  I mean, we are reading about it right now!

In our family I am quick to share stories of terrible tragedy so that I can quickly get to the part where God used it all for our good and for His glory.  Brian's heart failure has led to our family's total dependence on God, an outreach ministry for caregivers, a published book, and many lives changed in the name of Jesus.  My daughter's accident several years ago led to a miraculous healing and my husband learning what it was like to be a caregiver.  My mother's knee replacements and breast cancer lead to me becoming a caregiver to my parent and a new level of compassion.  The loss of a job I had for 17 years led to trusting God with my finances and provision instead of myself.

I know you have a list, too.  If not, I challenge you to begin one immediately.  Think about the good that God CAN DO with our hurts, disappointments, and troubles if we only give them to Him.  Instead of asking WHY begin to ask HOW.  I wonder HOW God's power can be seen through you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment